Easy OHS

High Risk Work Licences

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

A high risk work licence is required for certain types of work. This includes, scaffolding, dogging and rigging and operating cranes, hoists, reach stackers, forklifts and pressure equipment.

There are specific laws about doing high risk work safely. Here we summarise those laws and give you some practical tips.

There are also general work health and safety laws that will apply to you in any situation, including when doing high risk work.

You must hold a licence to do high risk work with:

  • cranes
  • dogging, rigging and scaffolding
  • forklifts
  • hoists
  • pressure equipment
  • reach stacker

You must also keep your licence available for inspection.

High risk work licences are valid for five years and recognised nationally: you can work in any state or territory if you have a current HRW licence.

Getting a new licence

You will need to trained and assessed by a  registered training organisations (RTOs) that is listed on the National Register of Vocational Education and Training (VET). The RTO must also have entered into an agreement with us. You can find a trainer online.

Obligations for direct supervision and evidence of licences

You must see written evidence from the worker that they have the relevant high risk work licence for that work.

You must ensure direct supervision of your workers, unless the nature or circumstances of a particular task make direct supervision impracticable or unnecessary, and the reduced level of supervision will not place the health or safety of the supervised worker or anyone else at risk.


    Download now for Free