Easy OHS

Contractor Faces Legal Action Over Union Inspection

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The construction union says it will take legal action against a key contractor, accusing it of unlawfully blocking it from inspecting a major Canberra building project.

CFMEU secretary Dean Hall says Woden Contractors refused him entry to the Kings Avenue flyover site ahead of a concrete pour earlier this month.

Mr Hall entered anyway and found what he says were safety flaws, including missing safety barriers.

He says he had a right to be there.

"The number one priority for the CFMEU is workplace safety. We feel this is jeopardising our ability to protect our members and the public from potentially dangerous situations," he said.

The union will also pursue the National Capital Authority for damages, saying its representatives initially would not allow the union on the worksite.

Woden Contractors managing director Peter Middleton says the company is cooperating fully with investigations by ACT Workcover and the Australian Building Construction Commission.

He says the company takes safety very seriously and will work with all parties genuinely interested in the safety of its workers.

He says it is inappropriate to comment further.



Reported by ABC News

Archive

    Download now for Free